Monday, November 28, 2016

Reading Notes: Czech Folktales part A



This week I decided to read some Czech folktales from The Key of Gold by Josef Baudis. The stories I read in part A are erratic and energetic, but only seemed to give me limited ideas for stories. 

This had to be one of the most erratic stories I’ve ever read.  I mean, it doesn’t even seem relevant that John was sleepy.  I guess it’s important for the backstory, but it was a little disorienting.  Anyway, as far as ideas for stories, an idea that sticks out to me the most is to write about this whole fiasco from the Queen’s point of view.  Why was she summoning herself to hell?  Is she a demon of some sort?  What are her intentions with the king?  What happened to her after she was swallowed into hell at the end of the story?  These questions could potentially be addressed in the story I would write about this tale. 

I really liked the ending of this story; it was definitely unexpected… The narrator claims to be someone who has witnessed the events in the story firsthand, but we still have no clue who he or she is.  The fact that the narrator ended up telling us this story after falling through a paper floor is also very strange, but I liked it.  This story seems like it could be someone’s dream, and falling through the paper floor was them waking up.  I could work with the idea of stories as dreams if I were to use this one.  

Three pink roses. Courtesy of London Chow on Flickr


This story is also really erratic and a little hard to follow, but at least it had a nice ending.  I’m actually kind of surprised that the author decided to allow the children to return to their mother in the end – that poor woman.  An idea for a story I got out of this was to twist the plot a little bit, and maybe somehow have the children rescue the souls that are trapped in the cups.   



No comments:

Post a Comment