Sunday, November 13, 2016

Wikipedia Trails, Week 12

This is my first time attempting this extra credit assignment, and I'm pretty excited!  I chose to start with a topic we are covering in my Pathogenic Microbiology class: Ebola! 

Ebola Virus

We all remember the terrifying Ebola outbreak of 2014, but did you know that Ebola was first discovered in 1976!  Although I knew that before reading this wikipedia thanks to my course, I was still surprised when I first learned this fact. 

Photo from 1976 showing 2 nurses caring for an Ebola patient.  Courtesy of wikipedia


As I was looking through this page, I come upon the subtitle "Weaponization" under which I learned about "Biopreparat."

Biopreparat

Biopreparat was (is??) the Soviet Union's network of secret research labs that worked to weaponize deadly pathogens and toxins.  They weaponized Smallpox, Anthrax, Influenza, and Ebola, among others.  Biological weapons were outlawed by the Biological Weapons Convention of 1972, but the Soviet Union continued to investigate their uses in secret.

After learning about this, I was interested in learning more about the Biological Weapons Conventions.

Biological Weapons Convention

The Biological Weapons Convention was a treaty that supplemented the Geneva Convention and outlawed the use or research of biological weapons.  Here is a summary of the articles, per Wikipedia.

  • Article I: Never under any circumstances to acquire or retain biological weapons.
  • Article II: To destroy or divert to peaceful purposes biological weapons and associated resources prior to joining.
  • Article III: Not to transfer, or in any way assist, encourage or induce anyone else to acquire or retain biological weapons.
  • Article IV: To take any national measures necessary to implement the provisions of the BWC domestically.
  • Article V: To consult bilaterally and multilaterally to solve any problems with the implementation of the BWC.
  • Article VI: To request the UN Security Council to investigate alleged breaches of the BWC and to comply with its subsequent decisions.
  • Article VII: To assist States which have been exposed to a danger as a result of a violation of the BWC.
  • Article X: To do all of the above in a way that encourages the peaceful uses of biological science and technology.

I knew biological weapons were outlawed, but it was cool to find out exactly when and how they were banned.  I was interested in knowing more about the start of biological warfare, so I followed the link!

Biological Warfare

Wikipedia dates biological warfare back to the 6th century, during which Assyrians would poison their enemies' wells with a pathogenic fungus that caused neurological symptoms.  During World War 2, Winston Churchill advocated for research to weaponize botulism and anthrax toxins, among others.  The UK also encouraged the United States to do the same, and they complied.  According to Wikipedia, neither country used the biological weapons in an offensive manner. 

No comments:

Post a Comment