Monday, August 22, 2016

Reading Notes: Adam & Eve Part A

When I originally thought about reading the Adam & Eve unit, I had my hesitations, and now I'm thinking I should have listened to my gut... As I read through each passage, the urge to pull my hair out and bang my head against the wall grew stronger.  Who knows, maybe a good story will come out of my frustration.

My first, and perhaps the most obvious, inclination was to rewrite one of the stories to where Adam is the one who eats the fruit, not Eve.  But that wouldn't make for a good story, at least that I can think of, and really is quite petty.  None of this stuff is true, anyway, but it's hard not to feel offended, reading stories that essentially criticize a laundry list of things about a woman and women in general.  No wonder sexism is so deeply rooted in societies, when people interpret stories, like the story of Adam and Eve, literally.  Actually, even as some sort of symbolic work, the only things I get out of these stories are "don't question God" and "women are bad and are the reason for bad things." Anyway, I guess this isn't the place for a rant - but I don't have many reading notes over these stories, and those I do have are likely too explicit to post.

The story that I liked (could stomach) the most was that of Lilith.

Lilith the Badass; Credit: Lady Lilith by Rossetti (1867)


Lilith was Adam's first wife, not made from his rib, but from the same means as Adam was made, the dust.  Because of her creation, Lilith wanted to be treated as Adam's equal, not as essentially his servant, but that didn't fly with Adam.  Lilith ran off with the Devil as opposed to staying with Adam in LITERAL PARADISE with unequal treatment.  I say: you go girl!

Anyway, at this point, I'd like to write something about her; perhaps something about life after Adam or her life on the road with Satan, in the story of a fairytale? Maybe as a sort of crime piece? I'm not really sure, all I know is this piece was my favorite in the first part of week 2's reading.

Cheers.

Bibliography: Lilith from The Legends of Jews by Louis Ginzberg (1909).

No comments:

Post a Comment