Saturday, August 20, 2016

Reading Options

Week 2 Reading - Adam and Eve
While browsing through the week 2 reading options, I was having a hard time deciding. I'm not religious by any means, so the idea of a Biblical unit immediately sounded unappealing.  But then I thought about it more - maybe it would be interesting to read these stories from a different perspective than I had as a child, so, for week 2 I am choosing Adam and Eve

Adam und Eve, Hans Sebald Beham, 1543


Other Interesting Units

This unit immediately caught my eye.  My freshmen year of high school, I attempted to read Inferno and Purgatorio, but never ended up getting very far. What I was able to read of these epics was very intriguing, and I definitely want to revisit them in this class. I love the specificity and organization of Dante's vision of hell; the circles of hell and who is contained in them is really interesting. 

The Barque of Dante; "This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighboring rights."


African culture is so different than Western culture, and exploring their paradigms and interpretations of the world is fascinating.  Their spirituality is so different than our religion, and from what I've read in the past, it is much more in tune with Mother Nature.  I also like that the author of the stories in this unit, R.E. Dennett, was a trader and member of the Congo Reform Association, which was against British colonialism.  I'm somewhat familiar with very basic, general African literature, but it will be interesting to explore it more.  

I find Tibet to be such an interesting place. From Mount Everest to Buddhist monks to their modern political conflict with China, I think learning about Tibetan culture through folktales would be eye-opening.  I took Chinese for 3 years in middle school, and in those classes we learned a lot about Chinese culture (though I can't say I remember very much...) Tibet and China are often lumped together, but I would like to know more about their distinctions, because I'm definitely #FreeTibet.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment