Monday, August 22, 2016

Reading Notes: Adam & Eve Part B

Part B of my reading consisted of The Forgotten Books of Eden by Rutherford H. Platt, Jr. (1926), parts 1 - 25.

Source

This part of the reading focuses on after Adam and Eve leave the garden in which: Adam and Eve sob and repent constantly, Adam kills himself a few times (God reviving him each time), they encounter the Devil in the form of a serpent again, the Devil snake tries to attack Eve, Adam cries some more, God continuously reminds them of their "transgression" against him, more sobbing.

Really the only ideas I got from these passages were to make God an abusive boyfriend or father, sick right? I will say, my absolute favorite imagery was in The Sunrise and the Serpent , where the Devil (as a snake), chases after Eve while Adam sobs because he didn't have a stick with which to hit the snake.  I find this imagery hilarious for some reason, but I can't think of how to make a story out of it. The only thing that comes to mind is describing the scene in further detail and making it into some sort of comedy.  Like in Scooby-Doo, when the gang runs from "monsters", going in and out of random doors in a hallway, and somehow they end up running away from Fred with the monster.... ha!  Adam would be sobbing the whole time, naturally.

Scooby-Doo, Where Are You? Courtesy of the EyZmaster on deviantart


I have so many questions about these stories, like if God knew Eve would betray him, why would he give her the opportunity? Why would he let the Devil reside in the garden? Why would he make the tree in the first place? One could easily answer that God wanted to test their commitment to him, but he KNEW it was going to happen, for he is all seeing and all knowing, so why let it? According to himself, he knew it would happen before he even made Adam, so why bother? Or why not take some time to perfect your design before you make humans? There are so many aspects of it that just don't make sense to me. I'm going to try my best to write the least blasphemous story I can possibly write; I don't want to be outright offensive to people who may follow this religion.   

No comments:

Post a Comment