Thursday, October 20, 2016

That Made My Day

The highlight of my day (what made me happy today):

Thursday 8/25
I got started on my first research project today! Officially streaked my first plate with a (likely) novel bacterial species, specimen PMP191F. What made me even happier was that after talking to Nisha about my research interests, she said that I would be able to incorporate research on antibiotic resistance into this project, and then when I'm finished with this project she'd give me one all about abx resistance! She also said there was a chance that I could be published with this project (though it's a pay to prove type project, so they may not even publish the findings?)

Friday 8/26
The two homeless people that frequently hang out around outside of the clinic found a precious baby kitten today on the side of the road, no mother or siblings in sight. They brought the kitten in, and we cleaned it up and bottle fed it! One of my coworkers decided to take it home to care for it.
It was so kind that, even though they don't have a home of their own, they cared enough to help an animal in need find a home and the care it deserved.

Foundling - Female kitten, ~2 weeks old after a bottle feeding; Photo credit: Me 
Monday 8/29
I'm happy and thankful that I'm working with such great grad students at the Lawson Lab.

Tuesday 8/30
Talking with my mom last night and today made me happy.

Wednesday 8/31
The Comedy Bang! Bang! podcast always makes me happy. Couldn't control my grinnin' today while listening to it as I walked to class.

Saturday 9/3
Someone banged on the door and yelled "EARTHQUAKE!!" during that 5.6 earthquake we had. I found it hilarious.

Sunday 9/4
I went by my favorite coffee place here in Norman (Cool Beans over on 12th and Alameda), but as I pulled up to the drive thru, the (presumably) owner informed me that they were closed for renovations.  I was bummed, and was going to just go somewhere else, but then she asked me what I was going to order. I told her I was craving a large iced chai, and she said she could make it for me! I told her I didn't have cash, just my card, which she said was fine. She made the drink and brought it out to me, and then told me that it was on the house!

Monday 9/5
Obviously it made me happy that there was no class today, ha! But also, I got to see my friend Jessica today! We met up over a couple of drinks, she told me all about med school so far, and then I went and saw her new (awesome) house in OKC!

Sorry for the hiatus, I had a hectic last week!

Sunday 9/11
Today a female praying mantis hung out on my hand for a bit. It was really cool.

Praying Mantis by Shiva Shankar on the Wikipedia Commons

Tuesday 9/13
MY BEST FRIEND ANDREA FINALLY HAD HER BABY!!! It feels like it took forever, especially these last few days, but Piper is finally here! 7lbs 2oz, beautiful as can be :,) 
I'm very happy she's finally here, and I'm also really happy I got to facetime with Andrea like, 20 minutes after the birth! Got to see her and Piper! I can't wait to meet her tomorrow! 

Ps: this is in bold because it's probably the best thing that will happen all semester, and maybe even the rest of the year! 

Andrea & Piper - Photo courtesy of the Sawyers family, 2016
Wednesday 9/14
Drove straight to Tulsa after work to meet baby Piper today! She was as precious as can be :,)

Saturday 9/17
Trump did Harambe! That's all I've got to say about today.

Sunday 9/18
As simple as it sounds, spending some alone time and working on getting back on track was oddly fulfilling today. *Sigh of relief*

Monday 9/19
I finally got a phone, which definitely makes me happy

Tuesday 9/20
My broth cultures grew! I was afraid my cultures had died, and was worried if my subcultures would even grow, but they did and I'm happy.

Friday 9/23
I taped a photo of Bernie Sanders to my TV. Alec and I sang My Chemical Romance to it  Thanks alcohol.

Saturday 9/24
I went to an OU Improv show, and really enjoyed it.

Sunday 9/25
The fair, the fair, the fair, the fair, and Alec! We rode a ton of rides and snuck into the snake woman exhibit - it was terrible! :)

Monday 9/26
It's a little early in the day to do this, but I ran into my old professor Herr Sullivan today after class! He is one of the best professors I've had, ever! I was delighted to see him, and very happy that he remembers me, even after a couple of semesters.

Tuesday 9/27
I just had a good day in lab today.

Saturday 10/1
It's October!!! And I got a raise!

Tuesday 10/4
The lightning storm last night made me really happy.  It was so cool, I watched it for an hour or so.

Wednesday 10/5
This didn't necessarily make me "happy", but it did make me laugh, so that's close enough...
Today after my pathogenic micro class, Alec was walking in as I was walking out, and I got really excited about this picture of Harambe that my friend photoshopped into a clown that I wanted him to see, so I start walking toward him all happy and then I slip on the stairs and straight up fall on my ass (ok it was my knees, but still). It was pretty hilarious.

Friday 10/7
This is too easy - I was really happy to be out of school today! But I'm also really happy to get to go to Tulsa to see my family in friends today!

Saturday 10/8
The Tulsa State Fair - enough said!

This beautiful relic was spotted at the Tulsa State Fair. Credit: me. 


Sunday 10/9
I'm happy to see my cats again! I missed them while I was in Tulsa.

Monday 10/10
I went in to get some coffee at the Circle K by my house, and the lady gave it to me for free!  And then some teens outside told me to have a nice day in a non sarcastic tone.  Weird series of events, but they made me smile.

Tuesday 10/11
The Norman Animal Shelter agreed to join my work's adoption event we are having next month! Yay!

Friday 10/14
It made me really happy to finally see my friend Jessica again!  We went to the Art Walk on Main St. and had a lot of fun!

Saturday 10/15
Today I finally met Jessica's mom, whom I've heard so much about.  She's a neurosurgeon with a PhD in microbiology, so she's someone I've been very eager to meet! We all got sushi and had a nice time!

I'm sorry I've been slacking!

Wednesday 10/19
Having lunch with some of my coworkers was enjoyable!  Also, there was the sweetest little 3 legged kitten at work.  She was too sweet.

Thursday 10/20
I talked on the phone with my friend Austin for about 3 hours!  It was nice because I haven't gotten to talk to him in a while.

Saturday  10/22
Alec and I went to Oktoberfest in Tulsa! I got to see some of my friends I hadn't seen in awhile there too! Oh, and not to mention the delicious food... mmm

Oktoberfest in Tulsa. Courtesy of TulsaTopics on Flickr


Sunday 10/23
Even though I only saw her for a little bit, I was happy to see my mom today.

Monday 10/24
ZACK came to Norman!!!!!!!!

Monday 11/7
Dang, I'm sorry I haven't posted in so, so long.... Life has been tough lately, and this election is stressing me out beyond belief.  Hopefully soon I can get back to this. 

1 comment:

  1. Okay so when I first came to your page the picture of the kitten made me smile! I love it so I had to read what the post was about. I think it is truly amazing the kindness people have to others and animals even when they are going through hard times! I think those 2 were amazing for bringing in a kitten to make sure that it gets nurtured!

    ReplyDelete