Sunday, October 9, 2016

Famous Last Words: Can I Conquer Time Management?

Time management: one of my most dreaded phrases and concepts, but mostly because I'm terrible at it!  When I say terrible, I mean it.  I don't know where my hours, days, or even weeks go sometimes.  I've been trying to get better at this, but despite making progress some weeks, I always end up slipping and falling back into my procrastination habits!  I need to step it up.

I've been reading the book Eat That Frog! by Brian Tracy, which was highly recommended to me by a friend who claimed it helped him end his procrastination problem.  I'm very busy, so I read it when I can, and I've found it full of helpful advice thus far.  The only problem is, I can't seem to even find the time to implement some of the things the author recommends!  He states that planning out your week, and even your days/hours, is essential to time management and productivity.  I think this is an excellent idea, and is something I try to do to an extent when I'm thinking of it, but I need to do more.  Tracy recommends taking an hour or two one day a week and setting goals, priorities, and generally planning, but I can't seem to find that time.  I'll admit that I have the time, but I think it's the motivation I lack.  I'm trying, though!

I've tried other techniques for time management, including setting timers while studying, making lists, and keeping several detailed calendars.  The method that somewhat works is making lists, though I find it extremely difficult to prioritize what's on the list.  I try to focus on what absolutely must be done, like what's due that day or the next, and that helps.  But one thing making lists doesn't help with is getting the tasks completed in a timely manner, which is my biggest downfall.

I'm going to continue reading that book, and try my best to implement the suggestions the author makes, because I'd really like to get this under control sooner rather than later.

If you took the time to read this rant, feel free to leave any suggestions you may have in the comments!  :)

A pretty accurate quote, courtesy of hot4sunny on Flickr

1 comment:


  1. I think procrastination is a common disease that infects most students if not all. I am a procrastinator myself. I did make list on what I have to do each week, but the problem is I have no motivation to carry it out. I also come up with reason and excuse for not doing so. I totally understand your problem. Maybe I should read “Eat Your Frog!” It sounds like an interesting and useful book.

    ReplyDelete