Monday, October 24, 2016

Reading Notes: Great Plains Part B

Part B of Katharine Berry Judson's Myths and Legends of the Great Plains, 1913, was full of more immorality than part A, but inspired my own creativity less for some reason.  If I don't come up with a story idea after the first couple of times of reading over a story, I usually won't come up with one at all, and I hate having to try to force one.  I did think of a few ideas that hopefully I can expand on after they ferment in my mind a little bit.

This was a short but very fun read, especially "The Ghost and the Traveler".  The man ends up traveling with the ghost woman, but doubts and fears her, in a totally random way, causing her to disappear.  I thought the random thought of fear the man had toward the ghost woman was hilarious, and if I choose to write about this story, I will definitely center it around that interaction or thought.  I think it illustrated the point that we should only fear fear itself, and that anything else may only cause us despair. 

This story is full of immoralities thanks to that rude little rabbit, and I love possums, so this story is a double win!  Unfortunately I can only think of writing a child's rhyme about this story, which would be really cool to do, but also very difficult.  I'm good at rhyming, but just not in a way that is good for longer stories, or stories that appeal to children. I do really like the idea though, so I will continue to ponder how I can create a story out of this legend.


A sweet angel playing dead. Courtesy of Wikipedia
Another wonderful, short story full of immoralities that are demonstrated by both of the main characters!  For this story, I could expand upon the immoralities committed by both parties by writing it in the form of a confession from the snake (since the snake kills the coyote.)  By writing my story in this fashion, I could add a new perspective while also expanding upon what was presented in the legend.  I could even change the characters from animals to people - that may add even more to the immoral themes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment