Sunday, October 9, 2016

Growth Mindset: Multiple Intelligences

For this extra credit assignment, I read about Howard Gardner's "Multiple Intelligences", and thought about which styles of learning suit me. I think I fit best in the categories Interpersonal and Logical-Mathematical.  I also benefit from and use aspects from Bodily-Kinesthetic and Visual-Spatial as well.  I'll briefly elaborate on each.  

Interpersonal
The fact that this style of learning suits me so well is strange, because I'm not necessarily much of a "people person."  I don't actively dislike people or anything, I just can have a hard time relating to and speaking with them sometimes.  But what I really benefit from is "teaching" people.  If I've got to study for a big test, the best way for me to remember material is to explain it to someone else; it's especially useful if they ask me questions about it too!  This never fails to help me prepare for a test.  The only downfall for me is that it can be hard to find someone willing to listen to you teach them material they may already know, or may not care about at all.  I've heard that the "teaching" method of learning can also work if you pretend to be telling someone about it, or if you teach your pets the material, but I haven't tried that just yet.  I think I will try it next time I've got something to study for coming up, though!

Logical-Mathematical 
I'll get this out of the way - I HATE math.  Yeah, yeah, I know... math is wonderful and beautiful and elegant - I don't disagree - I just suck at it!  I do benefit from trying to logically approach problems and think/talk them out, sometimes looking at additional sources along the way.  When I am able to find a pattern or relationship between concepts myself, they really stick with me.  Sometimes it even feels like I've had a revelation.  The problem for me is being able to recognize these relationships; that is something I want to work on. 

Bodily-Kinesthetic 
If I can learn something by physically doing it, I will remember it much better than if I just read about HOW to do it.  I have a feeling that this applies to many people, but I could be wrong!  Without practice, theory is very difficult for me to understand.  I think this is why I struggled with physics so much - I wasn't concurrently enrolled in the lab, and the professor didn't do many demonstrations, so I had a hard time understanding what he was talking about.  

Visual-Spatial 
I LOVE making flow charts and graphs, and I love drawing and coloring pictures of concepts, structures, or processes.  Unfortunately I don't have very much time to dedicate to this anymore, but I used to use this method to study quite often.  It's a fun, non stressful way to study difficult concepts, but I'm always sure to read over the material before or after I'm done working artistically with it as well!  

Here's a really cool infographic about the topic:
Source

I also took an online quiz that is supposed to tell you which intelligence is best for you.  
My results were almost evenly split, but my highest was Interpersonal! Try it out if you'd like, it's really short! 


No comments:

Post a Comment