Monday, October 17, 2016

Story: The Chronicles of the Wonderful Turtle



J is for jealousy:
He’s got a calm demeanor.

He’s kind and he’s wise.
But which is greener: 
His grass or your eyes?






A is for Adultery:

When you say "I do"
it’s beyond your purview
a new love to pursue,
for what may ensue
is he bid you adieu. 







Extra, extra! Read all about the rise and fall of the reptile known as the "Wonderful Turtle"!


A hero is born.  Image made using canva. Photo courtesy of yum9me on Flickr
Full Article:

A local turtle became a tribal hero this week after defusing a conflict between two of the fiercest Chippewa warriors. Akecheta, 27, and Chaytan, 32, got into a heated argument over a personal matter, which nearly escalated to bloodshed. The two men visited the chief in an attempt to resolve matters, but despite speaking with the men for hours, they did not find a resolution. “I started to worry when the men did not seem pleased with my solution,” Chief Sassaba tells our reporter. “I knew I had to find another way to resolve this conflict.”

The chief finally decided to ask an unexpected party for advice on the matter, so he reached out to his personal friend known as “Mr. Turtle.” Mr. Turtle resides near the large lake just south of the Chippewa village, but had never before visited the village.
“Mr. Turtle is very wise, so I thought he may be able to help with this matter. When I asked him for assistance, he said he’d come right away,” the chief explained. When Mr. Turtle arrived, the entire village was tense, and many were worried about a battle breaking out between the men. Mr. Turtle sat in the chief’s throne, and began deliberating with the men; this lasted several hours before they finally compromised.

According to the two men, Mr. Turtle explained that they were both correct, and offered them “very wise” advice regarding the matter. The men declined to provide details about the conflict and the advice. Nevertheless, the entire village seems to have fallen in love with the reptile, who they are now referring to as the "Wonderful Turtle." We briefly talked with Mr. Turtle, who said, “I’m honored that the chief asked me for assistance in this matter, and I’m delighted I could help.”
“I’m very grateful for the love and support the Chippewa tribe has shown me. I’m going to make this village my new home,” Mr. Turtle told the Sun.
On behalf of the Chippewa Sun: we are very thankful to have you, Wonderful Turtle!




The turtle finds love.  Image made using canva.  Photo courtesy of StarsApart on Flickr

Full Article:
Chippewa’s local hero the “Wonderful Turtle” is set to marry the chief’s daughter this December. The two met after the turtle helped prevent a violent fight between two Chippewa warriors earlier this spring. Those who know the couple state that they are “soulmates” and say that they are, like many other villagers, excited for their ceremony.

Not every resident of the village is excited for the marriage though. We talked with a few local men, who wish to remain anonymous, about how they feel about the upcoming wedding. “I think it’s absurd! Such a beautiful woman should be with a warrior, not a turtle,” says one man.
Another man stated, “I think the chief’s daughter deserves to be with someone else. There are many more eligible men in the village besides that old reptile.” Sources tell us that those expressing anger or jealousy over the wedding will be barred from attending the ceremony.

Whether you are looking forward to or dreading the ceremony, it will be held at sunset on December 11th at the chief’s residence. Further details regarding the guest list, food and drink, and more will be published as we are made aware of them.


The Wonderful Turtle involved in a scandal.  Image made using canva.  Photo courtesy of Wikimedia



Full Article:
An idealistic marriage was torn to shreds recently when local hero and husband of the chief’s daughter, Mr. Turtle, discovered that while he was away his wife had an affair and bore a child. Our sources tell us that Mr. Turtle went on a trip over the winter, and returned home to find his wife cradling a child that he says “looks nothing like” him. The Chippewa village has been eager for the couple to have children, and many claim the couple was actively trying before Mr. Turtle’s trip. Both Mr. Turtle and the chief’s family declined to comment on the matter, but an insider revealed to us that Mr. Turtle will be moving out of the village. It is unclear at this time who the father of the chief's daughter's son is.



Author's Note:
The Wonderful Turtle tells the story of a turtle who is asked by his friend, the chief of a Chippewa tribe, to help resolve a potentially violent conflict between tribe members. Thanks to his great wisdom, the turtle is able to resolve the conflict, and soon becomes known as the "Wonderful Turtle" by the tribe. His wisdom and fame win him the love of the chief's daughter, and they wed. The turtle gets left behind during a journey, and ends up just sleeping through the winter. When he awakes and returns home, he sees that his wife has had a baby! He is excited until he notices that the child is not his. This story is from Myths and Legends of the Sioux by Marie McLaughin, 1916. I chose to use a newspaper headline type theme for this story to highlight the many "newsworthy" events that happen to the turtle in this story. I enjoyed the simplicity of the story, as well as the twist at the end in which the Wonderful Turtle's wife commits adultery - how immoral! The original story also highlights the jealousy of the other men in the village; they want to marry the chief's daughter. I couldn't find a way to incorporate much of that into my own story, but I do consider it to be an "immorality" in this story.

The theme of an immoral alphabet comes from A Moral Alphabet by Hilaire Belloc, 1899. The letters J and A are courtesy of Maelle K on dafont.com

6 comments:

  1. Oh man, this story is a whirlwind of drama. I like how you stuck with the tradition Native American themes and personified an animal giving it stereotypical characteristics. Your use of Canva to make the images and the name of the newspaper is also brilliant! I really enjoyed this story and how you managed to give the turtle and the other characters more of a backstory and personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the newspaper structure of this story! You clearly know how to write like a journalist would, and you picked good headlines for all of your "articles." The story was pretty good, but I wonder how you could have brought Mr. Turtle, the main focus of the story, to life a little more. Maybe by adding a few quotations that show the reader how wise he is? I'm not sure how easy that would be, but I think it would add a lot to the story! Overall, good job though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sara,
    I love the poems that you create to lead into each of your stories here. You are very creative! And what a series of events! The poor turtle seems like such a great guy, and he does all the right things, but he still gets two-timed in the end. He just can't catch a break. I really like the journalistic style of this story. It's the first post I've read in that style, and I find it to be very effective in telling a chronological story. Great work!
    Thorpe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I thought your take on this was amazing. I never would have thought of writing newspaper articles and combining them together to make a story. Doing this made the story short and simple but still very fun to read and it hit all of the main events in the turtle’s life. The images you created for this story was really cool as well. This is why I enjoy reading other people’s stories because it gives me more ideas as I go to write my own. One thing that you could possible include in your story is expanding on the turtle and his wife’s relationship. Were they in love? Did they get along really well?
    Overall, I don’t think there’s much you need to do to make this a better story. It was really fun and interesting to read. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your storytelling style is so nice and I love your creativity! It’s cool that you have themes for certain stories in your portfolio, and I like that you actually created images of newspaper articles! I really enjoyed that aspect, and I think it engages the reader in the story well! It allowed you to have cool details like the ages of the characters and quoted statements from the people involved. I also like that the newspaper is trying to be unbiased and just state facts. As a whole this story is very well-written and sounds professional. Great job!

    Good luck with the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The way you highlighted three events from the turtle was very interesting and straight to the point. Also, the newspapers and newspaper storytelling style was very creative. The turtle with the hat looked so cute and it was appropriate for the newspaper content.

    I felt sorry for the turtle. I wonder, if interviewed, what the turtle would say about the adultery. Also, I wonder how much the chief’s daughter loved the turtle. It did not really say much in the newspaper articles. Now that I think about it I wonder how they got together. Perhaps you may add these details as an interview with the second article.

    ReplyDelete