Monday, October 17, 2016

Reading Notes: Sioux Legends Part B

I chose the unit Sioux Legends for week 9's reading, which consists of stories from Myths and Legends of the Sioux by Marie McLaughlin (1916) and Old Indian Legends by Zitkala-Sa (1901). 

Unktomi, the Two Widows, and the Red Plums
Most of the stories in this section have been somewhat pleasant, but this story, oh my god, this story is twisted!  Of course I gravitate to it though, right?  Anyway, I don't have any specific ideas for this story just yet, but the cruelty of the unktomi (spider) really surprised me.  The horrific things he did were completely unwarranted, unprovoked, and cruel in so many ways.  This would obviously be a good story or immorality, because that spider is one twisted dude.  Perhaps I could do a sequel to the story, where the spider ends up in an afterlife similar to hell.  Then I could illustrate that the spider is more evil than the "devil" himself, and have him ultimately become the new ruler of hell.

Dreamcatchers kind of remind me of unktomi webs! Yikes.  Courtesy of  Wikipedia


Unktomi and the Arrowheads
I was really surprised to see the term "hemorrhage" in this story!  It actually sort of excited me, and made me considering writing this story into a sort of medical drama.  If I don't end up writing about this story in such a way, I would definitely keep a medical-type story in mind for the future.

The War-Like Seven
Searching for trouble will only cause you grief - look at that, I found the moral of the story... well except that the turtle and fish succeed at the end, and kill the whole tribe for no reason. The turtle and fish may have won in the end, but they lost many of their war-seeking friends along the way.  I could have death/the grim reaper tell this story, and talk about the faults in looking for trouble, and then explaining how and/or why he took each character's life.  Then, at the end, death could explain that the good guys don't always win, and that even if he doesn't like to take an innocent life, it's his job, and he's gotta earn a living too!

No comments:

Post a Comment