Monday, September 5, 2016

Reading Notes: Aesop for Children Part B

Aesop for Children, Milo Winter. Source.
Part B of the Aesop for Children reading was interesting; many of the stories were quite strange with even strangers morals. I chose a few stories that struck an idea.

The Heron
When reading this story, I couldn't help but think of the plethora of dating shows that have been and are still on television.  I'm inspired to write about a man or woman who so desperately wants to fall in love and/or be married, but is too picky to find a suitable mate.  I would write about how this person found a miniscule flaw in every person he or she dated, and eventually ends up alone and depressed.  I feel like that type of attitude is pretty common on these dating shows; they nitpick every flaw they can uncover about an individual, and then discuss them to no end.

The Cat, the Cock, and the Mouse
Being a cat fanatic, this story made me want to write an ode to the beauty of felines, from the perspective of the little clueless mouse.  Perhaps an english sonnet would be suitable?

A lovely kitty. Credit: Kristina Kuncevich on Flickr


The Goatherd and the Wild Goats
This story immediately made me think of the story idea I wrote about in my previous blog post, about a poor girl who chose a new group of friends over her old friends, and ended up betraying them.  This story actually seems to fit my idea even better, so I suppose I just have the same idea for this story as I did with The Wolf and His Shadow.

The Quack Toad
This story really made me want to write about the internal struggles of people who dedicate their lives to helping others.  I could write about a therapist or psychiatrist, haunted by his or her own mental and emotional problems, who hopes to fix his or herself by helping fix others.  Although this isn't necessarily in tune with the moral of this story, I think one does not have to be perfect in order to want to help others.

The Animals and the Plague 
I would definitely write a political-type piece about this story!  It's practically begging for it - the more "powerful" animals do much worse than the weaker animals, yet it is the weaker animals who must suffer.  That is definitely parallel to the world of politics...

Bibliography: Aesop for Children: Milo Winter

No comments:

Post a Comment