Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins Part B

Bibliography: Twenty-Two Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder.

Part B of this story had some interesting "riddles", but the real twist was at the end of the story!  I saw something strange like this coming from the beginning... Although some of my questions in my previous post weren't completely elaborated on, I still got some much needed answers, giving me some more story ideas for this week.

The Girl and the Thief
In this story, a beautiful girl (woman) is not interested in marriage, until she encounters a ruthless thief, with whom she falls in love.  Of course, this is at the dismay of her family (and her village).  Sparing the details, the woman eventually gets her wish, the thief reforms, and they live happily ever after.... boring!  If I choose this story to write about, I will definitely give it a twist ending.  I don't know quite yet if I should make it subtle or outright, but I want the thief to remain evil.  I'm thinking he could either rob the wife's family blind and flee, leaving her heartbroken, or I could write about it from the angle that he stole the woman's heart and either hid her away or morphed her personality into something unrecognizable by her family.  There are a couple of good immorality themes I could use for my project in this story: theft and lust are the two that stand out to me the most.

That thief isn't even cute though... From The Girl and the Thief

 The Old Hermit 
This story also has a few themes that are pertinent to my portfolio, but they are less obvious, and I feel like I already covered one last week.  Anyway, for this story I could write about the life of the old hermit after he inhabits the body of the young boy.  It could be comedic, like he says strange things that older people generally say, which in turn confuses the family.  

Other story ideas I have include writing a sequel to the entire story.  This may be the hardest, but most fun, option, because I could really do whatever I want with it.  What if the king brought the goblin back to his castle?  What if the king made his daughter marry the goblin?  There are all kinds of crazy things I could do with this.  I could also simply give the story an alternate ending, where the monk suffers in another way besides death.  Perhaps the monk is subject to some sort of riddle-related punishment?

No comments:

Post a Comment