Monday, September 19, 2016

Reading Notes: Twenty-Two Goblins Part A

For week 5's reading, I chose Twenty-Two Goblins translated by Arthur Ryder.

The King and the Goblin, from the Introduction of Twenty-Two Goblins

I chose these stories because the concept of them piqued my interest.  A king must carry a goblin on his back through the woods, while answering the goblin's riddles.  Who doesn't love a good riddle?

For part A, I have a few ideas for some stories, but many questions that I'm pondering.  What does the goblin want?  If the king answers the riddle correctly, the goblin goes back to hanging on the tree, and the king must go fetch him again.  If the king knows the answers, but refuses to say, his head will explode.  The only way for the king to transport to goblin to his destination successfully is if the goblin stumps the king, and he does not know the correct answer.  So, does the goblin want to stump the king?  Why or why not?  What does the monk want to do with the goblin?  If the monk wanted to the goblin brought to him quickly, why not pick a foolish man instead of the wise king, so that he would be quickly stumped?

Some stories I have in mind for part A of the reading are incorporating more "modern" riddles into the story, instead of the original riddles, which are hardly riddles at all, but more of opinions...  I could have the goblin ask the king riddles like "what gets wetter as it dries?" and other silly, short riddles.  The only other specific story I could see myself writing about is The Three Lovers.  I'm drawn to this story because of some of the immorality present, which I could use for my project.  A monk in the story steals a sacred book, and a mother of a distraught child throws him in the fire - both examples of some pretty immoral behavior, if you ask me.  If I chose to write about that, I honestly would probably write a grossly detailed description of the scene at the house.  I'd describe the boy's cries, the smell of his flesh as he burned, and the swift hand of the monk.  I'd probably write this as a narrator, or from the perspective of the monk.

No comments:

Post a Comment